Monday, December 19, 2011

Impossible to see the future is

Ok i'm enjoying my last days without energy. Well, without my energy activated atleast. I know there are plenty more energyless days in my future. So the energy in all the village had been out the last few days. I have been reading, playing music, working a little at school, cooking, eating, working out and reading more. The usual! In many ways not having connections to the outside world is nice.

I have some more exciting things to share for a change. But first i want to comment on how i feel like i'm half Mozambican now. I can comfortably ride on top of coals in the back of trucks, or almost anywhere when i travel. I eat a stupid amount of salt with my all my meals. I really enjoy corn meal porridge. I get a bit cold when it is below seventies.

Before returning to site i had an action packed weekend. There was a lot of volunteers in Maputo because people are going home for good and the holidays. I had gone to pick a few things up from the Peace Corps office and hang out.

Friday night, our big group split up and i ended up with the crazy latino ladies group. We crashed this party for the bank. No big deal, except everyone was Mozambican, dressed very, and all wearing white shirts or dresses. Everyone except us of course. There was an open bar which the girls took full advantage of. I ended up at this American's house at the USAID compound because the people i was staying with were still partying. Their house was crazy nice full of stuff from America. Maputo is a different world for us PCV's.

Saturday, i met up with Mona, one of the crazy drunk latinos, and we walked around the outdoor market. She had spent hours buying things for her family because she was leaving the next day. Well we get on a bus and she leaves her bag on the bus. Luckly she noticed quickly so we got on this little golf cart like taxi and explained what was up. This ride was like something out of an action movie. He was driving in and out of traffic and literally in the middle of the road. This was a two lane street with cars going both directions. It was awesome! Looking back it should have scared the poop out of me but in the heat of the pursuit it was great. Finally we catch the bus and extremely luckly the bag was still there. Then he gave us a ride back like a normal person. Mona meet this Marine a while back. We were on our way to his house before that ordeal. His house is even more ridiculous than the other one i mentioned. First time ever i was wishing i was back in the Marines. This house could have been on MTV Cribs. It had a pool table, ping pong table, bar, giant flat screen, a cook, four frigs, and an amazing gym. I'm so jealous!

Saturday night, i was with four of the girls that live near me in Gaza. We were going to watch this band and walking over to a bar when two guys tried to rob us. One guy grabbed my arm and i noticed he had a matchete and the other guy didn't. The other guy tried to grab one of the girls bags. It all kind of happened fast but i grabbed the matchete and the guys hand, the girls ran off, the other guy came to help with the Matchete, and i pushed the guy away and ran after the girls. It was crazy but we were all safe and nothing was stolen. I had a small cut on my hand but it was fine and it's pretty much healed now.

Sunday, i went to visit my host family. My host mom is so awesome. I got there and lunch was waiting for me and my old room was ready for me to stay there. Just like always! We chatted and ate. Then i took a nap and washed my clothes. It felt so nice being back in Namaacha and being treated so well. My host mom wasn't just nice because the Peace Corps paid her. She actually treats me just like a son. She makes sure to remind me that there is my first home in Mozambique and that i'm welcomed anytime. She also makes sure to tell me that i have to marry a good woman, one who will cook for me, wash and prepare my clothes, and all that stuff. I try to explain to her that isn't important for me but she says she won't allow it, haha. Sorry ladies!

Old man, tried to call back but couldn't. I'm learning blackbird that isn't that hard, look it up on youtube.

Jodi, that is about all that is new. Thanks for the update! The last place Alicia should go with Gallo is the Whiskey River, haha. How was that outcome?

Peace, love and do good things


Jimmy
ps i cant remember what Star Wars quotes i have or haven't used, sorry if it's a duplicate

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half Mozambiqian is all your allowed. You shall return to Oregon and live happily everafter, with or without a wife that cooks or cleans. LOL Knife and matchete are 2 seperate weapons. Well take care and try to stay safe. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Jimmy glad to hear things are staying interesting there for you! sounds like your pretty much an action hero now with all the chases and saving lives/bags :) glad for your updates so we know your safe
ashley
p.s. we love the wiskey they never cut you off....but i prob wouldnt go with just gallo and hes my roomate! haha take care

Anonymous said...

Awesome way to spend the holiDaze!
ashlie

Anonymous said...

Watup man lost your email but enjoy the blog hit me up rfollas@live.com