Saturday, December 11, 2010

I got a bad feeling about this

Not really, just a classic Star Wars quote.

Ok, been a while. But got a lot to say hopefully I can remember most of the good stuff. Plus Forrest has been showing up my blog so I want to at least write some more interesting things.

I am in Mabalane now. Forrest and I got a nice set up. The village is small and chill. It is green and really flat. Hot and dry so far. I like it. The peple have been really nice. We ate lunch and hung out with some prisioners and guards at the judges house yesterday. So we have a prison in Mabalane and the prisoner go out and get drunk with the guards. We meet this guy who talks and looks a lot like Eddie Murphy, he is doing ten years for thief, so Forrest an I invited him over to talk Englisg whenever. Haha

We just hitch hiked into Chokwe the closest city and bought bikes. Not sure how we will get home yet but ride or hitch is probably the answer.

We had a conference at the beach before moving to Mabalane to meet out new bosses. Xai-Xai is awesome. The water is warm and the beach is really nice. So chilling there was so nice. We were really living the dream for a couple days. Still am now but more of the Peace Corps Mozambique one. We do not have energy, so we read with oil lights and cook on our bbq like grill. We are about 1 mile from the market and literally right net to the school. There are three two bedroom house and are pretty new. Our director of the school is really nice and the other teachers seem cool. All is well in Mabalane!

So yesterday we seen this guy who asked us for money (he looked like he needed it) and Forrest gave him 1 or 2 mets. We were talking and I was wondering what he was going to spend it on. Then maybe 5 minutes later he walked by smoking a cigarette, haha it was so funny. Glad I didnt his cig. But I dont know how I feel about giving money. Im from this rich country and have all this stuff. Then the Peace Corps gives us a bunch of money to move in and buy things. So Forrest does not mind giving money away, I dont either. But not sure if that actually helps the person. I want to try and spend all my money so it goes to the community and country. Just failed by buying a bike made in China, but for now on. That is one of my goals buy local stuff and food too.

Last Friday was our last night as a group and went to this party with 3 fiends it was on the 14th floor of this apartment overlooking the ocean and city of Maputo. They had these two wesome drums and i played a little. But I cant really play drum yet maybe next time.

Well here is that time where I cant think of anything else to say. Trying to read, write, and study Portuguese with my free time. Which I have a crazy amount of right now. I have been thinking about life and deeper stuff lately and trying to write in this journal. So send me some messages and lets chat about life, philosophy, or just tell me about what i going on in the states.

No energy so keep writing even if I dont reply. Im reading them! For some reason I can log on reply to facebook messages a lot easier than my yahoo email. SO hit me up. Peace and do good things


Jimmy

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy
So glad to here your thinking more about life and deeper thoughts. It may be the start of getting in touch with your feelings and learning how to express them something weve been working on. Im excited for you
Love Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim

Glad to hear from ya. So why didn't you ride the bikes back ?? I hope you find some better friends than the prisoners!!! LOL So does the principal and other teachers live in the other houses? Are you using your net to sleep? Is it raining there yet? Hard to believe you cant express yourself with a mom like me, sorry if thats why. Love Ya Talk soon. X O

Anonymous said...

Jodi, im always thinking about life and my battle with how i want to live. Just trying to write and reflect more. Mom, the road back is really poor, not paved and about sixty miles. O and it was getting dark and bikes are not that great either. So not good riding conditions. But we found two rides and got home safe and sound. Cooked dinner all well here. My phone battery is very low. Try to find a plug today. So i have been keeping it off. Someone called last night but was in back of this big truck. Then tired when we got home. Love Jimmy

Linda Agnes said...

Jimmy

Your mom told me that you helped out your host family with snacks you bought. I was wondering what kind of snacks are available in your location? Nice to hear everything is going OK.

Love Linda Santos

Anonymous said...

Dude, your grammar could not have been worse. I'm guessing you don't have spell check, huh? Peace buddy keep working on the center for kids who don't read good.
Will

Anonymous said...

jimmy!
glad you hear your finally living the dream of no electric no you can really get in touch with what real. if you want to give your money away but dont want it to go to cigs or things of the such maybe buy some food or essentails with it and pass those out instead. bryce is coming back this weekend so we are all excited to see him and should be fun party at jodi's oh and the niners won their last game so we still have hope for the playoffs! haha stay safe
ashley

Anonymous said...

Linda, not as much candy or junk food. Not as tasty either and very expensive. But i didnt think of anything better to do for them. I gave a couple other gifts too. Will, no spell check. Plus im trying to do a bunch of things at one time. If you were more trust worthy i would let you edit it. But i can image that outcome. Thanks for the laugh. All ways good to hear a Zoolander quote. Peace Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Your sense of adventure and doing good things for people is truly admirable. You are well on your way to becoming a Jedi Master.

Debbie, Carol and I are going to San Diego to visit Sarah and her fiance' Sacha for Christmas. We are also going to "Meet the Fockers", Sacha's parents. His father (Portuguese descent) grew up in Mozambique and his mother (Italian descent) grew up in Somalia. They ended up in the Republic of South Africa were Sacha and his brother were raised. Should prove to be an interesting visit.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Love you,
Doug and Debbie

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
Hope you enjoy your Christmas how ever they celebrate over there! Keep safe and I will write again soon. Staying in Nevada for xmas not going over the hill we'll do that sometime after the new year. Albert is helping with the cosmetic fixes on the house and that is cool.
Love Tia

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sweetie! May your new year be full of good health, success, excitement and knowledge. Love Tia

Anonymous said...

Jim, I miss ya bro! Sounds like you got the adventure you were after bro, it has got to be an amazing experience to experience a culture halfway across the world. I bought an uke right after you left and have been playing it more than my guitar. I gave my neice and nephew lessons and they got one for christmas. Thanks for the inpiration my friend. How are the waves at the beach man? any surfers? Anyway hope all is well,
Ryan C.

Anonymous said...

So school is very slow. I mean students do not show up the first week. So maybe next week! I might try to head to the beach this weekend. I have to teach Monday through Friday. And have night classes Friday so probably not going to be going to the beach or anywhere to far until the next break. Im hoping to try and travel around as much as possible and want to get up north. Peace and love Jimmy