Sunday, October 2, 2011

Han: How are we doing? Luke: Same as always. Han: That bad huh?

Quem não tem cão, caça com gato.

I came across this studying Portuguese earlier today. It's a cool phrase. Translation, who doesn't have a dog, hunts with a cat. Significance, make do with what you have.

School is coming to a close and as usual things are getting a bit crazy. We have had a lot of holidays lately and a couple in the middle of the week. So students have not been coming to school. Teaching and school feels like a joke right now. Luckily the year is almost done and then i get a break to wonder around Mozambique and rejuvenate my motivation. Already time to start thinking about what is next in life. Crazy! How time goes by.

Four of the volunteers, Jenna Scooter Anna and Joe, ran a marathon last weekend. I went to support and hang out. It was awesome! They ran the whole thing and it was really motivating. Ali and i rode bikes with them the whole time. We carried the water food and tried to keep them motivated. I might do it next year. That afternoon all of us and a bunch of the other volunteers went to eat at this restaurant by the bridge in Guija. The next day i went to the beach in Bilene with Mark, Peggy, kaitlin, and Ali. It was such a beautiful day and perfect weekend.

Forrest and i have been jammin and wrote our first song last week. Unfortunately not much else going on. Yesterday i watched our soccer team play another school from this roof top of an old Portuguse building. The rat died up in the ceiling of my room, after all the time i let him crash here that's how i was repaid. Ants moved in. We might get electric installed in our house soon. I hurt my foot running but have been cross training and lifting everyday. Then just reading and living the simple life. I'm excited to go surfing first chance i get! Any questions about life here?

Peace love and do good things! JIMMY

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy, was nice seeing all of your relatives at reunion last week, but we all missed you. ha ha I even beat your mom at horseshoes! How long of a break do you get before you teach again? Stay safe and hope you catch the big wave....Hang Ten, Love Linda

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great weekend with your friends last weekend.

how bad is that foot ??? Is it your pin foot? Glad the rat died sorry he stinks! ! Need me to send you some good ant bait?

Are you sure you dont want to come home for Xmas vacation, not surfin weather for sure ??????

LOV YA MOM

Anonymous said...

It's my other foot and it's fine just not good enough to run on. Not going to make it home this break. I'll be back for the wedding. They have ant stuff here we can get. There are two weeks of national exams. One in November and December then off till late January. And i forgot my Star Wars quote, i had one picked out too! Dang. Love Jimmyood enough to run on. Not going to make it home this break. I'll be back for the wedding. They have ant stuff here we can get. There are two weeks of national exams. One in November and December then off till late January. And i forgot my Star Wars quote, i had one picked out too! Dang. Love Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Jimmy glad to hear music is coming along well and that you are having some fun with friends. i cant believe you didnt run the marathon?! hope your foot feels better soon we all miss you down here. jodi got hit in the face w/a softball and its pretty bad but she will be ok im going to go see her today. when do i get my pen pal? stay safe!
ashley

Anonymous said...

Hi again Jimmy...your auntie kim is here, i showed her your website...she thinks its cool. She was sooo excited to hear from you...how it made her day! She says "she loves you and watch out for those sharks!"

Love Ya Auntie Kim & Linda

Anonymous said...

stupid rat Oldman

Barry Watts said...

Olá Jimmy, I just discovered your blog and have spent some time reading many of your posts. I'm hooked! Keep 'em coming. I especially like your observations with regards to the people/culture/society.

I find it crazy that you are teaching in a place where unemployment is 70% plus and school attendance is poor -- that's counter-intuitive -- especially since it's free!

I Google mapped some of your locations. DUDE, you won't see me there, ever!

You are doing something very special. Enjoy it as much as you can. I hope you get some R&R in Dec/Jan. Stay safe.

Barry