Saturday, January 29, 2011

Traveling through hyperspace aint like dusting crops boy

Just finished my first real week of school lats night, it was cool. Still need to find the best pace and level for the students. But Fridays classes were a lot of fun. I worked in I Can See Clearly Now into the lesson. So at the end of each class we sang and I played the ukulele. The students really enjoyed and so did I. I think Fridays will be song days. Because students not coming to Friday classes is very normal here. I can tell some of the students that know English better get very bored but they are still practicing speaking and reading. I think I can teach at a higher level and not lose most of the class. I just need to figure it out more. I tried to ask he students what they wanted to learn or study but they did not understand so they did not tell me anything.
Now that school is starting I am not reading and thinking as much. I'm not really sure what to write. I reread Tuesday with Morrie and that is an awesome read. I like Morrie's character and how he thinks and acts. He has compassion and love for all and does not follow the social norms. If you have not read it, I recommend it. There are many great quotes and perspectives on life. I read Into Thin Air, that was a very exciting read, might be climbing the Big E someday. I feel like maybe I already wrote this.
Ok, I met some guys that worked at the prison on my way to Chokwe. They seemed like fun people they were singing and joking the whole ride. One of them spoke English well and we talked about Mozambique. He told me how there are not many good jobs and it is very hard to find a job. They are working for the government at a prison and have not been paid in several months. One of my friends coworkers have not been paid in months also. That is pretty crazy, people working without being paid. Life is much harder here. It is crazy to think of poverty in the US and poverty here. The unemployment rate is 70-80% and a majority of the people live off of less that a dollar a day. Houses with tin roofs are nice. Most people do not have cars. Many kids are running around in the same ripped up clothes everyday. And then there is a big problem with AIDS and HIV, I don't not see this as a teacher but it exist. In my province it is 20-30% of people have HIV/AIDS. I stopped by my friends health clinic the other day and it was packed more that 50 people waiting outside, hiding from the rain, and then she told me it was a little slow that day.
Compared to the US were poor people still have cars and money. Only a few homeless people probably live without any money at all. People here think that every American is rich. And probably because most that can come to visit are more well off. Have money to volunteer and travel. But also because even the really poor people have a lot of money and stuff compared to Mozambicans.
I wanted to add more about the people and not just a list of things I have been doing. But I went to the beach again last weekend and played volleyball. It reminded me of being home last summer. I missed chilling, playing music, BBQ, and playing sports with everyone. So there are over 20 female volunteers in my province and only 3 guys. And last weekend there was a big party for 3 of the girls birthdays. I was one of 2 guys with about 20 girls. I was a little scared but it was fun. The girls are all really cool. Now most of my close friends here are female. Which before all my close friends that are girls are my family and friends wife. I don't really know why that is. Ok any question I can try to answer in future blogs???? Also there is another post before this one from yesterday.

Peace, love, and do good things

Jimmy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jimmy it was great to get an update from you. glad to hear you are adjusting well. to think that poor people here would be considered doing good there is an eye opener helps me see the positive in my own life. plus they prob dont have the goverment helping them either! its nice you get to enjoy the country side while your there. stay safe and keep us updated! by the time you come back you will prob be uncomforable with all the luxury's you can start a commune ill totally live there...now to just convince jodi girl :)
ashley