Friday, August 19, 2011

Fear is the path to the dark side

I'm finishing up the second week of school, but it is more like the first because i only taught about five students the first week. This week everything is back to normal. No classes Monday night because the power was out. Problems with water.

We were luckily saved by the rain. We had no water here for over a week. We were waiting for this guy to come by to transport water from the river for us. Of course he did the "i'll come tomorrow" trick on us for a few days. Then Monday night it finally rained. Now we have about a month worth of water. And don't have to worry about when this guy will show up, at least for a little bit. I survived one week on ten gallons of water. I was eating tangerines to supplement drinking water. I normally drink more water than that in a week. I was so happy to hear that rain. I was down to my last five gallon bucket and had a nice collection of dirty clothes growing. Now all my clothes are clean and the water problems are pushed aside.

Forrest returns next week. It will be nice to have him back. He is also bringing a projector. And who knows what other types of goodies.

I don't know how or why, but Bryan Adams is extremely popular here. So i learned to play "Everything I Do" yesterday. Then this morning i sang and played it in class. What better way to show my students i care about them then with a Bryan Adams' love song. The students already knew this song pretty good, so it sounded awesome. I should have recorded it.

After class i made peanut butter. I roasted the peanuts, smashed them, then added some salt, sugar, and oil. It takes a lot of work but i don't have much else going on. And it tastes better, is richer, and a lot cheaper too. But im not really worried about the money, the Peace Corps gives me a lot more money than i need to live out here. I'm more excited about producing less trash and not needing to buy South African imports.

Well that is all for now. Peace, love, and do good things

Jimmy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your water problems. I hope it rains every week for ya. Glad to hear Forrest is coming back. Say Hi for us. Well love ya MOM

Anonymous said...

I love that song one of my favorites, glad you learned a country love song.Jodi